This demonstrate below show how to visually create a report directly against data stored in MongoDB (with no coding required). The following topics are shown:
- Pentaho Data Integration tool is used to create a transformation that does the following:
- Connect to and query MongoDB.
- Query results are sorted.
- Sorted results are grouped.
- Pentaho Report Designer is used to visually create a report by using the data from a PDI transformation.
The demo below shows how to use Pentaho Data Integration tool to perform ad-hoc analysis of data stored in MongoDB and MySQL. The following items are shown:
- Query data in MongoDB.
- Convert MongoDB document from JSON document to a basic row of columns using the JSON input step.
- Lookup a field in the MongoDB document. The lookup table is stored in MySQL.
- Store the document and the lookup data into a table in MySQL.
- Perform ad-hoc analysis using PDI modeler perspective.
- Display results using PDI visualizer.
This demo will show how to import data from a CSV file into MongoDB using Pentaho Data Integration tool (a.k.a. Kettle). The following items will be demonstrated:
- Basics of how to map columns from CSV file to fields in a MongoDB JSON document.
- How to handle variable/optional columns.
- Perform basic data scrubbing before adding data into MongoDB.
Although this demo uses a CSV file as input data, PDI can just as easily import data from many JDBC compliant databases by using the Table Input step.